A Chicago family-owned business since 1935, Wendella. I love the great tours of the city they offer. I find the docents fun and informative.
Here are two of Wendella’s top tours:
- Chicago’s Original Architecture Tour—This 75-minute tour will take you up and down all three branches of the Chicago River, while your professional guide shares 130 years of Chicago history, innovation, architecture and architects with you.
- Wendella’s Signature Lake & River Tour—This is the tour that started it all way back in 1935. This tour tells the store of Chicago’s social, cultural and political history, while also exploring more than 100 years of groundbreaking architecture. When you’re on this tour, you’ll start in the Chicago River and then venture through the Chicago Lock and out onto Lake Michigan with beautiful views of the Chicago skyline.
- Chicago Sunset Cruise—If you’d like to get some time out on beautiful Lake Michigan but without an architectural lesson, consider Wendella’s 90-minute sunset cruise.
- Most of the Wendella fleet offers indoor, climate-controlled seating with ample windows for those days when the Chicago weather is simply not cooperating with your tourism plans. If you want to see the city but don’t have a fair-weather day, a Wendella boat cruise is one way to get out and about.
- Feeling thirsty but can’t book their wine cruise? Make one of your own! Each of the boats includes a snack and beverage bar with a selection of beer, wine, cocktails and soda. Cash and credit cards are accepted.
I’m a proud member of the “One and Done” Marathon Club. I completed the Chicago Marathon in 2011 and count it as a great achievement one that I was happy to cross off my bucket list. I continue to run half marathons. I’ve completed 9 in various locations, including Chicago, Cincinnati, Key West, Monterrey, CA, and Nassau, Bahamas. For training in the Chicago area, I recommend Chicago Endurance Sports.